EHF/UWI Lead Poison Research
The Department of Physics at the University of the West Indies (UWI) has partnered with EHF to spearhead a follow-up project aimed at assessing and reducing the levels of lead contamination in Fraser’s Content, St. Catherine. EHF provides support through co-funding, as well as monitoring.
The project aims:
- To identify the extend of the current lead contamination in soils and indoor/outdoor dust;
- To develop an environmental lead hazard map including smelters;
- Screening of blood lead levels of children and pregnant women at-risk;
- Development and dissemination of lead-safe educational materials;
It is expected that the following will be achieved, upon completion of the project:
- Extent of current lead contamination in soils and indoor/outdoor dust ascertained;
- Environmental lead hazard map, including smelters, developed;
- Blood lead levels of children and pregnant women at-risk screened;
- Backyard lead smelting practices at Fraser's Content surveyed.
The Environmental Health Foundation (EHF) will be staging its 11th Annual “We... (Eden Gardens)
Workshop on “Energy Efficiency, Regularization, Energy Consumption and Safety... (The Saint Andrew Settlement (Community hub) in Majesty Gardens, Kingston 11, St. Andrew)
Sensitization Session with residents to inform them about our 18 months renewab... (Majesty Gardens, St. Andrew)